Tuesday, July 6

Ask a Recruiter: Phone Interviews

When do I get to speak to someone in person?

This is one I've been getting a lot lately, particularly from people who haven't been in the market for a new job in a while.  The phone interview seems to have replaced the face to face interview almost entirely in some industries--personally, I can recall at least one occasion when a successful hire has been made based solely on telephone interviews.  That's right, my client hired him before anyone in the company ever met him face to face.  Is he, or am I, just that good?  While, I would certainly like to think so, it all comes down to time, money and the nature of business today.  And what it means for you is that it's more important than ever to nail your telephone interviews; they aren't just screening tools anymore.  You have to learn how to sell yourself, make a connection, look for social cues and consistently engage your interviewer all without seeing his/her face.  More tips can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment